New breed of grandparents fawn over grandpuppies
It's one thing for a dog to be man's best friend. But a growing number of baby boomers are taking puppy love to a whole new level. Some parents, anxiously awaiting the day when they become grandparents, are showering affection on their children's pets. They're known as grandpuppies.
Denise Dellisanti considers herself the perfect grandma. Never mind the fact that she spoils her little one with trips to Pet Smart. While she doesn't have any human grandchildren, Dellisanti has all of a grandmother's love for 7-year-old Hercules
"He's not my grandchild," Dellisanti says. "But he's my grandpup." Pictures of Hercules not only adorn her mantle, but also her T-shirt.
Dellisanti wants grandchildren, and says she's pressured her daughter Diantha to have kids, "Even before she was married."
Nationwide - many women are waiting longer to have kids. Birth rates for young women are the lowest since the 1940s, when America started keeping track.
"There are more households now with dogs than there are with children," says pet behavioral expert Sarah Wilson. "People are getting married later - they're having children later and grandparents are waiting longer to be grandparents. They see the incredible attachment their children have to the dog and they respond."
Watch Seth Doane's full report in the video above.
- Don't take vitamins, doctor warns in new book
- Watch: Careless baggage handler tosses boxes on conveyor belt
- Doctor: Modern wheat a "perfect, chronic poison"
- Jimmy Hoffa grave found?
- Photos: Underground shots of NYC's Second Ave. subway project
- Obama: I don't have a problem with NSA surveillance
- Evelyn Stevens: Wall Street cubicle-dweller turned pro cyclist
- Angelina Jolie "very grateful" for support after double mastectomy
- Colo. wildfire arson? How investigators will track down blaze origins
- Sharyl Attkisson on computer hacking: "I'm outraged"
- WikiLeaks' Assange opens up to Rolling Stone
- State Dept. memo reveals possibly extensive cover-ups
- "Hidden" mortgage fee paying for payroll tax cut
- Driverless boat circles after passengers tossed in wave
- Black bears battle on suburban front lawn
- Ranting airline passenger: "They want to silence me"