BMW i8 concept shows off powerful sports hybrid
(CBS) - BMW's i-series is the automaker's attempt at combining performance and efficiency. Two hybrid vehicles - the compact i3 and the sporty i8 - have been teased in the run-up to the New York International Auto Show next week. Though still in the concept phase, BMW is intent on having the i8 production-ready soon. These are some of the latest images of the performance hybrid BMW calls "emotional, dynamic, efficient."
The i8 series combines an electric drive system with a standard combustion engine. BMW claims the hybrid can make zero-to-60 in less than five seconds while also maintaining 94 miles-per-gallon in the tank.
There is also topless version, the i8 Spyder, in the works. Expect more information to come out once the NYIAS starts next week.
- Video of Volkswagen concept "Hover Car"
- American flying car soars in test flight
- Jeep Liberty recall reaches nearly 347,000 vehicles
- New law mandates black boxes in all cars by 2015
- Alfa Romeo 4C coming to US sooner than expected
- Study: Hybrid car owners unlikely to buy another
- Video: 2013 Ford Escape's extreme liftgate testing
- US auto sales soar in May, 30-percent increase
- Chevrolet playing ball with Manchester United
- GM, Ford squabble over towing capacity ratings
- BMW recalls 1.3 million cars for battery issue
- Video: Dutch flying car takes maiden flight
- Ferdinand Porsche, designer of 911, dies at age 76
- Feds expand investigation of Jeep Wrangler fires
- Jeep Wrangler "Dragon" concept revealed at Beijing
- Police to auction $1.6 million Ferrari in Dubai