Hottest new small cars for 2012
Chevrolet's lowest-priced small car, the Sonic, is a sportier-looking and better-performing replacement for the Aveo. And it has a distinction that will matter to many buyers: It is the only subcompact made in the USA under an agreement with the United Auto Workers.
Reviewers praise the Sonic as fun to drive and a worthy competitor to chief rivals Ford Fiesta and Honda Fit. You can get the Sonic in either sedan or hatchback versions, both of which were rated a Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
The four-cylinder, 135 horsepower engine is rated at 25 MPG in city driving and 35 on the highway. The Sonic base model starts at $13,735 and ranges up to $18,495 for its top-end version.
Next: Hyundai Veloster
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign
- How to stop the mediocrity pandemic
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- 4 Things Not to Buy at Costco
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- 5 Things You Should Buy at Costco
- 12 great college graduation gift ideas
- Powerball: What to do if you won