Used Cars: 5 to Avoid (and 5 Better Alternatives)
Midsize SUV: GMC Acadia
Though its quality has improved in recent models, the 2008 Acadia is a repeat loser in this category. With the minimum two circles in the J.D. Power survey, it gets a worse than average used car ranking from Consumer Reports. Readers there reported problems with the suspension and audio system. The Acadia SLE model is selling for about $25,000 at dealerships, according to kbb.com.
- Alternative: Toyota 4 Runner. This 2008 Toyota stalwart won the J.D. Power reliability award and is rated much better than average as a used car in the Consumer Reports ratings, where readers reported no serious problems. Reviewers praise its capability both on the highway and off-road. The 2008 4Runner SR5 version is selling at about $27,730.
GMC Acadia photo courtesy of the manufacturer
Next up: Large SUV
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Why geniuses don't have jobs
- Chrysler expected to make Jeep recall refusal official
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Look who doesn't deserve financial aid at NYU
- Microsoft slashes Surface prices to lure buyers
- NSA-style spying has been around for years
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths