Chinese solar giant Suntech goes bust
BEIJING Suntech, one of the world's biggest solar panel manufacturers, has been forced into bankruptcy court, becoming the latest casualty of a painful slump in the global solar industry.
Wednesday's announcement came after Suntech Power Holdings Ltd. missed a deadline last week to make a $541 million payment to bondholders.
Suntech said a group of eight Chinese banks filed a petition with a court in eastern China to have it declared insolvent. The company said it would not object to the petition.
Suntech and other Chinese solar panel producers have suffered huge losses over the past year in a price-cutting war brought on by lower sales and excessive production capacity.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Bernanke sends stocks, bonds skittering
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Bernanke holds the line on Fed monetary policy
- Why geniuses don't have jobs
- Microsoft slashes Surface prices to lure buyers
- Fed says it will continue $85B in bond purchases
- Service helps you use Twitter to find a job
- Have you mastered the art of listening?