Is the iPad Mini coming? Apple sends invitation for Oct. 23 event
Apple sent out an invitation to members of the press Tuesday for an event on Oct. 23. The company is widely expected to announce a smaller, cheaper tablet computer that the industry has dubbed the iPad Mini.
CNET confirms that the event is to be held at the California Theater in San Jose, Calif. The invitation is further indication that Apple may introduce a 7.85-inch iPad.
Reuters also reported Monday that Apple will hold an event on Oct. 23, where the tech giant will introduce a smaller tablet computer. Apple is also rumored to unveil a 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display.
The Wall Street Journal recently reported that Apple has placed an order for 10 million units of the iPad Mini to component suppliers in Asia. The Journal also said that production has already started on the device.
Several alleged prototypes of the iPad Mini have circulated around the Internet, including a recent set of photos posted on Twitter and Instagram by 9to5Mac researcher Sonny Dickson.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Forbes names most powerful women 2013 10 Photos
- Amy's Baking Company could face legal 'nightmare'
- Student loan defaults rising despite a way out
- Rent the cake? Unusual tips to cut your wedding bill
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign
- Fed uncertainty extinguishes rally