Tennis star launches candy business, Sugarpova
Tennis star Maria Sharapova appears for the launch of Sugarpova candy Aug. 20, 2012, in New York. / Michael Loccisano/Getty Images
(CBS/AP) NEW YORK - One of the world's top tennis players is going into the candy business.
Four-time Grand Slam title winner Maria Sharapova launched her Sugarpova brand of 12 types of sweets on Monday.
At this year's French Open, which Sharapova won, she called Sugarpova "the most exciting project that I've ever done ... because it's my own business, my own investment, my own money."
The new line is just one of her many business ventures.
The 25-year-old Sharapova is currently ranked #2 in the world after winning her fourth Grand Slam title this summer at the French Open. During the London games, she played for the Russian team and faced longtime opponent Serena Williams in the finals.
Sharapova is in New York, gearing up for the U.S. Open tournament, which begins next week.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- When it comes to vacations, the U.S. stinks 116 Comments
- Amy's Baking Company could face legal 'nightmare'
- 4 Things Not to Buy at Costco
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Online learning gets fresh look from a heavyweight
- TGI Fridays nailed for doctoring booze
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign