After 51 years, discount chain Daffy's to close
Shoppers walk past Daffy's, a fashion brand-name discount chain store, in New York. / Emmanuel Dunand/AFP/Getty Images
Michael McMullan, a spokesman for the chain, confirmed Monday the retailer will be winding down business at its 19 stores in New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and New York over the next several months. Eight of the 19 are in Manhattan. About 1,300 employees will be affected.
McMullan says the closing was necessary due to the uncertain economy, weak consumer spending and lack of viable financial alternatives.
Daffy's has not determined the final date for the final liquidation of the business.
The company had been in business for 51 years and is based in Secaucus, N.J.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Reports: Yahoo to acquire Tumblr for $1.1B
- How to stop the mediocrity pandemic
- 4 Things Not to Buy at Costco
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- 5 reasons you didn't get hired
- 5 Things You Should Buy at Costco