Will Privacy Kill Web Analytics? | BTalk
(Episode 509; 11 minutes 25) We can tell a lot from web analytics --- where people go on our site, how long they stay, where they came from and what they typed into a search engine to find us. Until now we've been able to assume that we're seeing almost complete information, but that might be changing.
In fact, as Danny Sullivan from Search Engine Land explains, we're not seeing the complete picture even now. There are ways of stopping information about your online behaviour being passed on and some of the big online players are making it easier for users to opt-out of being tracked.
This is bad news for marketers who like to see this information and often display different content based on who is visiting the site. Does this mean they now have to rethink their strategy?
Popular on MoneyWatch
- When it comes to vacations, the U.S. stinks 113 Comments
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Amy's Baking Company could face legal 'nightmare'
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- Online learning gets fresh look from a heavyweight
- TGI Fridays nailed for doctoring booze
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign