Report: OfficeMax, Office Depot discussing merger
Scott Olson/Getty Images
Mega-deals, mergers impact on economy
The newspaper, citing unidentified people familiar with the matter, said Monday that talks are at an advanced stage, and an announcement could come as early as this week.
OfficeMax reports its fourth-quarter results on Thursday, while Office Depot is expected to report results next week. Representatives of both companies declined to comment on merger talks.
- Mega-deal mojo a sign that recovery is taking hold?
- Whiskey lovers cheer as Maker's Mark restores proof
- American Airlines, US Airways announce $11B merger
Boca Raton, Fla.-based Office Depot has about 1,675 stores worldwide, mostly in the U.S. and Canada. OfficeMax, based in Naperville, Ill., has about 900 stores in the U.S. and Mexico. If the two companies merged, they could close stores that compete against each other, as well as reduce costs.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign 37 Comments
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Pew: Gen Xers, boomers not saving enough
- How to stop the mediocrity pandemic
- Crowdfunding: Meet the Koch brothers
- Stocks surge to new records
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- Powerball: What to do if you won