Coach shares plunge on tough holiday quarter
NEW YORK Shares of Coach Inc. (COA) plunged in mid-morning trading after the luxury handbag seller said a challenging economy and heavy price-cutting by competitors weighed on its fiscal second-quarter results.
The muted holiday results offer more evidence that the shopping season was tough as shoppers grappled with growing economic uncertainty.
The U.S.-based company says its net income was $352.7 million, or $1.23 per share, in the quarter ended Dec. 29. That compares with $347.5 million, or $1.18 per share, a year ago.
Net sales rose 4 percent to $1.50 billion.
The results were short of expectations for earnings of $1.28 per share on revenue of $1.6 billion.
Shares of Coach were down nearly 9 percent to $51.94 at 11 a.m. ET on Wednesday.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Chrysler expected to make Jeep recall refusal official
- 6 ways to pay off your student loans
- Why geniuses don't have jobs
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- The Internship: 6 real-life lessons from the movie
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- Chrysler continues its refusal to issue a Jeep recall