GE earnings rise on emerging market growth
General Electric Co. (GE) is reporting that net income rose 8 percent in the fourth quarter as earnings at all of the conglomerate's industrial segments improved due to growth in developing economies.
GE, based in Fairfield, Conn., reported net income of $4 billion on revenue of $39.3 billion for the quarter. Last year during the same period the company earned $3.7 billion on sales of $38 billion. Per share earnings rose to 38 cents from 35 cents last year.
The company's operating profit per share was 44 cents, a penny higher than analysts polled by FactSet expected. GE's revenue also beat analyst expectations of $38.8 billion.
The company cited strong growth in emerging markets and in regions that are exploiting natural resources, including Russia, Australia, Latin America, China and Sub-Saharan Africa.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Chrysler expected to make Jeep recall refusal official
- 6 ways to pay off your student loans
- Chrysler agrees to recall of Jeeps at risk of fire
- Why geniuses don't have jobs
- The Internship: 6 real-life lessons from the movie
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- Chrysler continues its refusal to issue a Jeep recall