Discovery to buy Nordic TV networks for $1.7B
SILVER SPRING, Md. The parent company of the Discovery Channel says it's buying 12 TV networks in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and Finland in a deal worth about $1.7 billion.
Discovery Communications Inc. says the deal with German TV company ProSiebenSat.1 Group for its SBS Nordic operations expands its presence in the Nordic markets.
It also boosts its brand portfolio by adding general entertainment, scripted and sports programming to its lineup of services for the first time. The acquisition also includes SBS Nordic's 19 radio stations and other assets.
The deal is subject to regulatory review and is expected to close in early 2013.
Discovery also says that its board approved a $1 billion increase to its existing stock repurchase program.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- How to stop the mediocrity pandemic
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Top five 529 college plans
- Apple's Cook says company doesn't use "tax gimmicks" 65 Comments
- LinkedIn: 3 tips for building a better profile
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign
- How to organize your job hunt