American Airlines ups fares
Joe Raedle/Getty Images
DALLAS American Airlines is changing the way it charges you to fly.
American will charge up to $88 more per round trip for any passenger who wants a basic ticket that includes checking baggage or changing the reservation later on. Currently the airline levies separate fees for those and other extras for everyone except premium passengers.
American said Wednesday that the options will be sold only on AA.com, the airline's website, for travel in the contiguous 48 states.
"These travel options are another example of how we're building toward a new, innovative and more modern airline," said Rob Friedman, American Airlines' vice president of marketing, in a statement on Wednesday.
It's calling the new fare levels "Choice," "Choice Essential" and "Choice Plus."
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Bernanke sends stocks, bonds skittering
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Why geniuses don't have jobs
- Bernanke holds the line on Fed monetary policy
- Microsoft slashes Surface prices to lure buyers
- Have you mastered the art of listening?
- Look who doesn't deserve financial aid at NYU
- Fed says it will continue $85B in bond purchases