Apple stock tops $600 day before new iPad release
NEW YORK - Apple Inc.'s (AAPL) stock has touched $600 for the first time, the day before the company's latest iPad goes on sale.
The stock reached $600.01 just after the market opened and is now at $597 in the first half-hour of trading.
Apple's market capitalization is now nearly $555 billion. It topped $500 billion for the first time in late February, a market value peak where few companies have ventured.
Anticipation is high for Apple's latest creation. Some industry experts believe the Cupertino, Calif., company could sell 1 million of the new iPads on Friday, when it becomes available to the public.
Apple has already stopped taking advance orders for Friday and said customers should expect a two- to three-week wait for purchases made through its online store.
Popular on MoneyWatch
- TGI Fridays nailed for doctoring booze
- Amy's Baking Company could face legal 'nightmare'
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- The Donald prevails in fraud suit
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign
- How Bernanke's testimony affects investors
- Turn off Windows 8 with one click