10 Weird Health Theories That Just Won't Go Away
"HIV is not the cause of AIDS"
AIDS denialism is in its sunset years but at its height the notion that AIDS is more of a condition brought on by immune system stress from drug use or promiscuity was the official policy of South Africa under president Tabo Mbeki. The country has since accepted the truth, but not before 330,000 people died needless deaths.
In part, AIDS denialism went quiet because the activists behind it -- who refused to take anti-retroviral drugs to treat their HIV infections -- are no more: The denialist magazine Continuum closed after all its editors died of untreated AIDS.
Next: Exposing your children to preventable diseases is good for them?
Popular on MoneyWatch
- Seeking solutions to the student aid mess
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Kellogg re-inventing Special K brand
- How to stop the mediocrity pandemic
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign
- LinkedIn: 3 tips for building a better profile
- Top 10 professional life coaching myths
- Yahoo buys blogging site Tumblr for $1.1 billion