The 10 Key Turning Points in the History of Social Media
1999: LiveJournal beats Blogger to market
Online diary keeping began in earnest with the debut of LiveJournal, the first of many sites to popularize blogging. LiveJournal preceded by just a few months Pyra Labs' Blogger software, later acquired by Google, which remains one of the dominant blog-hosting platforms. LiveJournal failed to keep up with Blogger and in 2009 most of its U.S. staff were laid off and remaining operations were moved to Russia.
Lifetime: 12 years and counting
Popular on MoneyWatch
- When it comes to vacations, the U.S. stinks
- Reverse cell phone lookup service is free and simple
- Amy's Baking Company could face legal 'nightmare'
- Snapple co-founder Leonard Marsh dies at 80
- IMF chief named key witness in French payoff case
- TGI Fridays nailed for doctoring booze
- Ellen DeGeneres buys Brad Pitt's Malibu home
- Amy's Baking Company: Post-meltdown PR campaign