Arnold's affair: The elephant in the room
For her profile of Arnold Schwarzenegger this week, Lesley Stahl traveled around the world with the governor, with stops from Austria to the UK, from New Orleans to San Diego.
Schwarzenegger was "enormously charming" as a travel companion, says Stahl's producer Rich Bonin, and he often spoke of his soon-to-be-ex-wife, Maria Shriver, even showing the crew the spot where he'd proposed marriage to her in Austria. But during months of shooting for the 60 Minutes story, Schwarzenegger's affair with the family housekeeper was "the elephant in the room."
"I went all around the world with him," says Stahl. "And it never came up. He never brought it up, I never brought it up." Finally, at the end of Stahl's final interview with former Gov. Schwarzenegger, it became clear that the hard questions had to be asked. "He knew the time had come and I knew the time had come-- and we both did our jobs. Let's put it that way."
- Bill Gates on Steve Jobs: We grew up together
- Angelina Jolie: I would love to live a long life
- How Bill Gates' school launched his life's work
- Steve Jobs: Family photo album
- The anatomy of an interview with a serial killer
- Bill Clinton tried to get Led Zeppelin back together
- Did she really just say that? Xin on democracy
- From soldier to mad scientist: Kit Parker's lab
- Modern-day Robin Hood inspired by 60 Minutes report
- Morley Safer's infamous 1993 art story
- "Searching for Sugar Man" wins Oscar
- Who is Sue Mengers? Watch this 1975 interview
- Are you a "super-recognizer"? Take a test
- A chess prodigy explains how his mind works
- Jake: Hanging out with a teenage Einstein
- Interviews with Kony's child soldiers