Morley vs. the art world: Round 2
If you watched this week's 60 Minutes story on Miami's Art Basel, one of the biggest, most lucrative art fairs in the country, you probably have a good idea of what Morley Safer thinks of contemporary art.
Or perhaps you caught his first story on contemporary art, which aired in 1993 and drew howls of protest from the art world and more viewer reaction than any other Safer report in his 42 years on the broadcast. Almost 20 years later, as Morley wandered the aisles of Art Basel, gallery owners and artists were still sore about being mocked in Morley's '93 story.
Still, his well-known distaste for contemporary art did not deter Donald and Mera Rubell from welcoming him on a tour of their extensive personal art collection, housed in a Miami warehouse open to the public. The Rubells have devoted their lives to collecting contemporary art and supporting promising young artists around the world. 60 Minutes producer Ruth Streeter told us that the Rubells had, of course, seen Morley's 1993 story. But they still graciously took him on a tour of their art collection, patiently explaining the meaning behind each piece of artwork, as you'll see in this video. We at Overtime applaud the Rubells for their enthusiastic effort to change Morley's mind about contemporary art, but it seems they took on an impossible task.
What do you think of the contemporary art that Morley has so publicly criticized over the years? Do you agree with him? We want to hear from you in the comment section below.
- MJ's "manifesto," penned in 1979
- Bill Gates on Steve Jobs: We grew up together
- Becoming human: Shin's new life
- Apple, Ireland, and the corporate tax rate problem
- Do you have trouble recognizing faces? Take a test
- Are you a "super-recognizer"? Take a test
- Behind the scenes at a Taylor Swift concert
- Angelina Jolie: I would love to live a long life
- How Bill Gates' school launched his life's work
- Taylor Swift: All grown up
- Married life in a tent. How do they do it?
- Steve Jobs: Family photo album
- "Searching for Sugar Man" wins Oscar
- Who is Sue Mengers? Watch this 1975 interview
- Snake bite! A 60 Minutes shoot in Botswana
- Roger Waters: Why I left Pink Floyd