Sugar and kids: The toxic truth
Last April, Dr. Sanjay Gupta reported on new research coming out of some of America's most respected institutions, which find that sugar -- the way it's being consumed by Americans today -- is a toxin. And it could be the driving force behind some of this country's leading killers, including heart disease.
We at Overtime couldn't believe our ears when we heard this report. We knew sugar was bad, but a "toxin"? We give our kids that stuff!
We weren't quite sure how to apply the new science in the 60 Minutes report to the challenges of everyday family life, so we sat down with Dr. Sanjay Gupta for some practical advice. Both a doctor and a father of three, Dr. Gupta offers his take on how a typical American family should think about the sugar in their diet.
- Martorano: I'm a "government witness" not a "rat"
- Soccer academy La Masia: A model for the U.S.?
- Drug traffickers' vehicle of choice
- Sagrada Familia: The construction zone tour
- Bill Gates on Steve Jobs: We grew up together
- Do you have trouble recognizing faces? Take a test
- Are you a "super-recognizer"? Take a test
- Becoming human: Shin's new life
- How a SEAL's whisper saved the bin Laden raid
- Dr. Jack Kevorkian's "60 Minutes" interview
- Filming mountain climber Alex Honnold
- Ravi Shankar's daughter, Norah Jones, on dad's "genius"
- "Searching for Sugar Man" wins Oscar
- Exploring the depths of Dean's Blue Hole
- A chess prodigy explains how his mind works
- 1993: Mike Wallace reports on ER docs