Andy's Eyebrows 11/24/96
As much as Andy liked poking fun at others, he could never resist the chance to make fun of himself - especially when it came to his appearance. In this 1996 segment, Andy's distinctive eyebrows were the focus of attention, and he had plenty to say.
Andy Rooney: "I don't know what to do. I try to look nice. I comb my hair. I tie my tie. I put on a jacket. But I draw the line when it comes to trimming my eyebrows. You work with what you got."
How opinionated was Andy Rooney? When Andy passed away recently at the age of 92, he left behind 1,097 essays from his regular 60 Minutes segment, "A Few Minutes with Andy Rooney."
There may be no better way to remember and honor America's favorite curmudgeon -- and our much-missed colleague -- than to take a look at some of those pieces and let Andy, as he always did on 60 Minutes, have the last word.
Even though few of us here at "60 Minutes" can remember a time when Andy wasn't on the show, he had a long reporting and writing career before "60 Minutes." Andy was a newspaper man for "Stars and Stripes" during the World War II; a writer for Arthur Godfrey's variety show and "The Garry Moore Show" in the 1950s; and then he switched to news and public affairs reporting, which included producing pieces for colleague and friend Harry Reasoner.
His very first piece was called "A Digression," but known around the office as "Silhouettes." It was seen on the premiere episode of "60 Minutes" back on September 24, 1968.
By 1978, he was the Andy many of you probably remember -- a voice of opinion, candor, and humor here at "60 Minutes." As Morley Safer describes his longtime friend and colleague, "he had an axe to grind about almost everything."
- Soccer academy La Masia: A model for the U.S.?
- Martorano: I'm a "government witness" not a "rat"
- Drug traffickers' vehicle of choice
- Sagrada Familia: The construction zone tour
- Bill Gates on Steve Jobs: We grew up together
- Do you have trouble recognizing faces? Take a test
- "Searching for Sugar Man" wins Oscar
- Are you a "super-recognizer"? Take a test
- How a SEAL's whisper saved the bin Laden raid
- Becoming human: Shin's new life
- Ravi Shankar's daughter, Norah Jones, on dad's "genius"
- Exploring the depths of Dean's Blue Hole
- How affirmative action divides two justices
- Filming mountain climber Alex Honnold
- Dr. Jack Kevorkian's "60 Minutes" interview
- Wigand: 60 Minutes' Most Famous Whistleblower