Pi Day paid tribute by calculating Pi with pies
(CBS News) Did you think I wasn't going to honor Pi Day today? Hello? Do I not have a trophy proclaiming me eighth in the state in a middle school Numbers Sense competition that I polish regularly? (Don't answer that). Of course I'm going to honor the mathematical holiday. So let's get our learn on by calculating Pi with... pies! I'd recommend the apple, I hear it's delicious.
The oddly apt and very sweet (literally) tribute to Pi Day was filmed at The Meadow Lane Stadium (or just Meadow Lane to many) in Nottingham, England, features Matt Parker and was posted by YouTube user Numberphile who writes about the aftermath:
Clearly these pies were used for educational purposes... However during production of the video, Numberphile donated £314 to a local charity to provide food for people in Nottingham at times of crisis.
I've gone ahead and included a director's cut (or "slice," if you will) below for those who are curious to watch and learn a little more today. And to check out more great mathematical work by Numberphile, be sure to visit their website by clicking here. Happy Pi Day, everyone!
- Cats strutting their stuff and living large
- 4-year-old girl likely knows comics better than you
- Dead Giveaway: Ohio hero Charles Ramsey gets "songified"
- Fascinating footage after grizzly bear eats camera
- Bluegrass rendition of Daft Punk's "One More Time"
- Seven ways to open wine bottle without corkscrew
- Sights and sounds of Morocco through time-lapse
- See Google Glass through the eyes of a toddler
- See swift hummingbirds shown in super slow-motion
- Clever cat opens five doors in a row to go outside
- Add moments of beauty and serenity to your day
- Joe Jonas responds to dance invite with sexy video
- Fun with humor and music from YouTube Comedy Week
- Bear chasing man up a tree is totally surreal to see
- YouTube marks birthday with music, comedy and cats
- Teen with rare bone cancer inspires through music