Skier fleeing avalanche pulls off epic backflip
(CBS News) Imagine this: you're skiing down the side of a mountain for a competition with an avalanche hot (err, cold) on your heels. Suddenly, you find yourself coming up on a hill jump where the only clear option for survival is - wait for it - a backflip! Yeah, that's right! Watch it all unfold in this insane video above. And the backflip escape action occurs at about 57 seconds.
So maybe he didn't need to do the backflip, but it definitely added to the drama that is this surreal moment in skiing. The skier in question is Sverre Liliequist, who accidentally triggered the avalanche during the Second Big Mountain run at the Swatch Skiers Cup 2013 in Zermatt, Switzerland.
Can I just say that you are the man, Sverre! This marks the second impressive backflip we've seen in 24 hours (and now gives us the backflip on boards trifecta of skiing, skateboarding and surfing). Just throwing that fact out there for those keeping track at home. And for more great videos and news from the Swatch Skiers Cup 2013, be sure to visit their website by clicking here.
- Clever cat opens five doors in a row to go outside
- Internet's best marriage proposal videos
- Sea lion shows concern after little girl falls
- How to become a YouTube star (with "epic montage")
- Daft Punk music medley is an epic mix and tribute
- See swift hummingbirds shown in super slow-motion
- Fascinating footage after grizzly bear eats camera
- Seven ways to open wine bottle without corkscrew
- Two humorous moments that end with people soaked
- Teen with rare bone cancer inspires through music
- Joe Jonas responds to dance invite with sexy video
- Are you my mom? Orphaned pig adopted by mother cat
- 2-year-old girl adorably nails cover of Pearl Jam
- Dead Giveaway: Ohio hero Charles Ramsey gets "songified"
- Weekend Music Round-Up: creative and dance edition
- Cat won't be trying to eat fish in aquarium anymore