"Gangnam Style" craziness continues (with a dancing robot and Merchant Marines)
(CBS News) We've got two "Gangnam Style" surprises for you this weekend in the form of a dancing robot and the Merchant Marines joining in on the musical military stand-off. We kick things off with the fascinating, bizarre, cool and everything in-between video above. Check it out.
The technology demonstration meets K-Pop music culture and dance video was posted by The Robotics & Mechanisms Laboratory (RoMeLa) at Virginia Tech who write about it:
The CHARLI series humanoid robot is developed as a research platform to study bipedal walking and autonomous behaviors for humanoid robots. It is designed to be ultra light weight (under 15 kgs) for safety and low cost. As the next generation of the CHARLI series humanoid robots, CHARLI-2 improves stability and speed in walking, intelligence and autonomy, and soccer playing skills. CHARLI-L2 is also designed to participate in the autonomous robot soccer competition, RoboCup, in the Adult size league. CHARLI-2 implements an impressive active stabilization strategy based on sensory feedback (filtered IMU angles, gyro rate readings and proprioception information based on joint encoders.) Stabilizing torques at the ankle joints are applied based on this information, and successful ly rejects external disturbances. CHARLI-2 is honored "2011 Best Invention of the Year" by Time magazine, won the Louis Vuitton Best Humanoid Award (a.k.a. Louis Vuitton Cup) at RoboCup 2011, and won First Place in AdultSize league for autonomous soccer at both RoboCup 2011 and RoboCup 2012 among many awards.
And we've seen the Navy do it. We've seen the Army do it. We've seen the Air Force do it. And now we have for you the latest entry into this Cold War-style dance off to the K-Pop sensation that is a war we can all definitely get behind: watch the Merchant Marine Academy perform their own amazing tribute to Psy in the video below from YouTube user Andrew Bates.
Thanks to Commenter mfinlayson27 for alerting us to this latest entry into the military music fray!
- "Robot cat" blends everything the Internet loves
- Some fun with soda, slow motion and ice cubes
- Sea lion pup jumps on boat, cuddles with driver
- Learn how to fold a shirt in under two seconds
- Baby needs to potty at the worst possible time
- Jackie Chan picked a fight with Bruce Lee (and lost)
- Cat plays game of "boop" and kitten fed by bottle
- "Get Lucky" with two excellent Daft Punk covers
- Seven ways to open wine bottle without corkscrew
- The Feed's Music Round-Up: totally late edition
- Paula Deen Hit in Face with Ham
- Joe Jonas responds to dance invite with sexy video
- Chupacabra Found?
- 13-year-old Scottish boy sings and blows us away
- Watch: Kitten born with 2 heads in Oregon