Watch some Sage Grouse birds "strut their stuff"
(CBS News) I'll be honest: I had absolutely no clue what a Sage Grouse was before today. I even made sure to include the word "birds" in the headline for those like myself who had never come across this species. And as strange and foreign as they were to me going into the video, their "strutting" behavior and appearance only add fuel to the bizarre fire. You'll see what I mean.
So is it just me or do they kind of seem like a punk rock version of a peacock? No offense meant at all to the species, it's just the spiky tails feathers and dark coloring that bring the comparison to mind. What did you all think? Feel free to leave me some comment love below with your thoughts and possibly even experiences with Sage Grouse. And to check out more videos from the Bureau of Land Management in California, you can visit their YouTube page by clicking here.
This video was taken at the Mount Biedeman Wilderness Study Area in the Bodie Hills. The strutting grouse sound like coffee percolators. This is one of the larger leks; BLM wildlife crew counted 116 birds the day before.
- Fascinating footage after grizzly bear eats camera
- Are you my mom? Orphaned pig adopted by mother cat
- Weekend Music Round-Up: creative and dance edition
- Time Lapse: Montreal by Winter
- Internet's best marriage proposal videos
- Daft Punk music medley is an epic mix and tribute
- See swift hummingbirds shown in super slow-motion
- Fun with zombie parkour and first-person skiing
- Dead Giveaway: Ohio hero Charles Ramsey gets "songified"
- Seven ways to open wine bottle without corkscrew
- Lightning strikes one of the world's largest planes (VIDEO)
- Joe Jonas responds to dance invite with sexy video
- 2-year-old girl adorably nails cover of Pearl Jam
- Arnold Schwarzenegger teaser for YouTube Comedy Week
- Two cases of weird and wacky in the great outdoors
- "Harlem Shake:" The latest Internet craze