Terrifying first person video of Joplin, Mo. tornado
Updated May 25, 2011 9:34 EDT
(CBS) - The devastating tornado that ripped through the city of Joplin, Missouri left at least 124 people dead. In the wake of this tragedy, the first videos are emerging from survivors of the twister. This chilling video provides the first person view of residents who hid out in the back of a convenience store. The audio in this clip is intense, terrifying and perfectly captures the power and fury of the Joplin tornado.
YouTube user "izelsg" posted this description of the video:
"The video I took while at Fastrip on east 20th street. We huddled in the back of the store until the glass got sucked out, then ran into the walk in storage fridge. Sorry for the lack of visuals but the audio is pretty telling of how intense the storm was. The tornado hits at around 1:20 seconds."
"Intense" doesn't even come close. Our heart goes out to all the survivors and victims of this massive tragedy.
CBS News correspondent Don Teague reports on the continuing search and rescue effort.
- Bluegrass rendition of Daft Punk's "One More Time"
- Bear chasing man up a tree is totally surreal to see
- See Google Glass through the eyes of a toddler
- Clever cat opens five doors in a row to go outside
- YouTube marks birthday with music, comedy and cats
- Fascinating footage after grizzly bear eats camera
- Seven ways to open wine bottle without corkscrew
- Dead Giveaway: Ohio hero Charles Ramsey gets "songified"
- Joe Jonas responds to dance invite with sexy video
- Teen with rare bone cancer inspires through music
- Fun with humor and music from YouTube Comedy Week
- Chemistry into dubstep and music in the everyday
- Sea lion shows concern after little girl falls
- Chupacabra Found?
- Internet's best marriage proposal videos
- 4-year-old girl likely knows comics better than you