Lightning causes incredible explosions in Texas
(CBS) - Awesome is a word that has lost its power in recent years. What now means "cool" once meant "awe-inspiring" and "terrifying." Fort Worth, Texas was the scene of some tremendous explosions that lit up the night sky. A lightning storm caused several transformers to burst, causing what can only be described as a truly awesome display of electrical power.
According to the Star-Telegram, "About 210 cloud-to-ground lightning strikes were reported in Tarrant County between 8 and 9 p.m., said National Weather Service meteorologist Matt Mosier, who said he couldn't pinpoint the exact locations."
"Mosier said he didn't know if it had to strike the transformer directly or the ground close to it but if the lightning carries a large enough electrical charge, it can "blow" a transformer."
While hundreds of households were without power in the hours and day that followed, no one was injured, which is pretty incredible given the tremendous power on display in the video.
In related news, Austin, Texas band Explosions in the Sky denies any involvement with the lightning storm (joking.)
- Adorable 2-year-old sings Pearl Jam
- Cats strutting their stuff and living large
- Super slow motion pistol shrimp attack is explosive
- Sights and sounds of Morocco through time-lapse
- Dead Giveaway: Ohio hero Charles Ramsey gets "songified"
- 4-year-old girl likely knows comics better than you
- Add moments of beauty and serenity to your day
- Joe Jonas responds to dance invite with sexy video
- Seven ways to open wine bottle without corkscrew
- Are you my mom? Orphaned pig adopted by mother cat
- Fascinating footage after grizzly bear eats camera
- Bluegrass rendition of Daft Punk's "One More Time"
- See swift hummingbirds shown in super slow-motion
- YouTube marks birthday with music, comedy and cats
- Clever cat opens five doors in a row to go outside
- "Raining Spiders" in Brazil