Chinese mom gives birth to 15-pound baby
The 29-year-old mother in Henan province gave birth to Chun Chun Saturday by cesarean section, the state-run Tianjin Post reported. The delivery just took 20 minutes and both mother and baby are doing fine, the Post said.
According to the paper, Chun Chun's parents are average size and there was nothing unusual about his mother's pregnancy or diet. The paper also said it's not immediately clear whether Chun Chun made China's record books.
Guinness World Records says the heaviest newborn ever recorded was born to an Ohio woman in 1879 and weighed 23.7 pounds (10.77 kilograms).
In January of this year, an Iowa woman gave birth to a baby weighing nearly 14 pounds, without any surgery or pain medication, HealthPop reported.
Popular in Health
- "Clouds" singer known for viral hit dies from osteosarcoma
- Miami face-chewing victim still recovering one year later
- Bed sharing may increase risk of SIDS by five times
- Disney pulls show that makes fun of gluten-free child
- Skin cancer self-exam: What to look for (PHOTOS)
- Environmental Working Group's top sunscreens for 2013 12 Photos
- Medical factors add to urgency of tornado rescues
- Victoria's Secret will not make mastectomy bras