Ambien Addiction: Are Celebrities Playing with Fire?
(CBS) Are celebrities like Lindsay Lohan, Tiger Woods, and his alleged mistress Rachel Uchitel sleepwalking their way into trouble with the prescription sleeping pill Ambien?
Uchitel is reportedly heading to "Celebrity Rehab" to tackle an Ambien addiction.
Lohan has convinced her jailers to give her the drug while serving out her 90-day sentence, according to TMZ.
And even Tiger Woods has allegedly gotten mixed up with the drug.
"Would it be possible for you to get us some more Ambien," Woods allegedly wrote to Uchitel in a November, 2009 email obtained by Radar Online. "OK, but we need to talk about this," she allegedly responded. "I don't know how to deal with us possibly being addicted to prescription meds.".
If celebrities are abusing Ambien, they might be playing with fire.
Even when used appropriately, the drug can cause side effects ranging from aggressiveness, memory problems, hallucinations, depression, confusion, and thoughts of suicide, according to the federal government's National Center for Biotechnology Information.
And it's habit forming.
The center's website says "You should know that some people who took zolpidem (Ambien) got of out bed and drove their cars, prepared and ate food, had sex, made phone calls, or were involved in other activities while partially asleep."
Popular in Health
- Miami face-chewing victim still recovering one year later
- "Clouds" singer known for viral hit dies from osteosarcoma
- Disney pulls show that makes fun of gluten-free child
- Skin cancer self-exam: What to look for (PHOTOS)
- Environmental Working Group's top sunscreens for 2013 12 Photos
- Victoria's Secret will not make mastectomy bras
- Bed sharing may increase risk of SIDS by five times
- Medical factors add to urgency of tornado rescues