How to Ease Your Kids' Back-to-School Fears
The academy says if kids have first-day jitters, let them know other children are anxious too and that teachers can help.
The academy also says school backpacks should have wide padded shoulder straps and a padded back. And they shouldn't weigh more than 10 percent to 20 percent of the child's body weight.
Kids should be urged to wear seat belts on school buses. In car pools, kids under age 13 should ride in the back seat.
The group says kids should respond to bullies by staying calm, telling bullies to stop abusive behavior, and walking away.
For the full list of tips, go to the academy's website at AAP.org.
Have you learned how to dispel your child's jitters before school? What do you suggest?
- Dad Punishes Daughter with Free Babysitter Ad Play Video
- How to stop junk mail - forever
- New tornadoes hit Midwest Play Video
- Bret Michaels Brings Daughters On-Stage Play Video
- Lorena Bobbitt, 15 Years Later
- Legit Work-from-Home Websites - and the Scams
- Helen Mirren named "Body of the Year" Play Video
- Dying teen leaves touching YouTube video