Flap over Adding Muslim, Hindu Holidays to School Year
(CBS/AP) School-aged kids love school holidays. But are there too many already?
Students in a central New Jersey school district, for instance, will have days off for three more this year.
The South Brunswick school board has approved closing for two Islamic holidays: the end of Ramadan and the Muslim Feast of Sacrifice.
The board also recognized the Hindu new year, Diwali.
School board president Matthew Speesler says it was time. But Speesler says some parents were upset, feeling there were too many holidays already on the school calendar.
The New Jersey School Boards Association says 10 of the state's nearly 600 districts recognize Muslim holy days as official school holidays.
What do you think about the additional school holidays. Do you feel there may be too many already? Let us know.
- Sword-Wielding Porn Star Falls Off Cliff Play Video
- How to stop junk mail - forever
- Online Scam Targets Pet Lovers Play Video
- Dad Punishes Daughter with Free Babysitter Ad Play Video
- Legit Work-from-Home Websites - and the Scams
- Work-At-Home Scams Play Video
- Lorena Bobbitt, 15 Years Later
- Most of Forbes' most powerful women are moms