Hunger Games: "Hamburglar" hits Maine McDonald's by stealing order at drive-thru window
Police say a young man, seemingly inspired by the pattie-pilfering character once featured in McDonald's advertising campaigns, ran between a car and the takeout window at an Augusta restaurant Sunday night as an employee tried to hand a bag of food to a driver.
A witness flagged down an officer who was leaving a nearby convenience store.
Lt. Christopher Massey, acting on a description of the hungry thief, found him in the parking lot of a rival fast food restaurant diving into a McDonald's bag.
Massey tells the Kennebec Journal the suspect swore and ran into the woods. He was never caught.
Massey says the three young men who had their food stolen didn't know the "hamburglar."
McDonald's replaced the stolen food, worth about $20.
Popular in Politics
- Obama forgets to salute while boarding Marine One Play Video
- Obama prom pictures surface 131 Comments
- IRS' Lerner was asked to resign, refused: GOP Sen. 178 Comments
- GOP Rep.: Obama elected because of Reagan's immigration reforms
- Is President Obama ending the war on terror? 288 Comments
- Petraeus biographer regrets affair
- Pelosi ties bridge collapse to sequester
- Now, some unions upset over Obamacare