Health Reform: What's The Holy Thing To Do?
The other night the Family Research Council and The Call to Conscience sponsored a "prayercast" to protest the "government takeover of healthcare."
This was some show. Among the pols who showed up, the headliners included Senators Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) and Jim DeMint (R-S.C.) as well as Minnesota Republican congresswoman Michelle Bachmann.
Here's a link to the full hour but if you just want the juicy excerpts, check out the above video clip and pay special attention to the pastor, Lou Engle, the founder of "Call to Conscience." MSNBC's Rachel Maddow, who had a brilliant deconstruction of what got said and how it compared with the record of what's being proposed, included a prior clip of Engle referring to Islam as "demonic."
You can't make this stuff up.
I left word with spokesmen for DeMint, Brownback and Bachmann seeking further comment. Noone returned my calls. Maybe they left early to hunker down before the weekend blizzard blankets the region.
Popular in Politics
- Obama prom pictures surface
- Obama: America at a "crossroads" in fighting terrorism
- IRS official Lois Lerner placed on leave
- Drones, Gitmo part of broad Obama counterterrorism speech
- Lawmakers push to punish sexual offenders in the military
- Protester heckles Obama during counterterrorism speech Play Video
- Boehner calls out Obama administration's "arrogance of power" 88 Comments
- IRS' Lerner: "I have not done anything wrong" 965 Comments