Chatroulette: A Pedophile's Paradise?
"There is a lot of illegal activity on this site that is hard to enforce," Ernie Allen, President of the National Center for Missing & Exploited Children, said on The Early Show. He added, "This is the last place parents want their kids to be."
The Web site, created just three months ago by a 17-year-old Russian whiz kid, drops you into a world where you connect through webcams to a random, seemingly limitless succession of strangers from anywhere in the world.
Chats can be simple and friendly, but some users are looking for more than just conversation. And though "Chatroulette" claims "you have to be at least 16-years-old to use (the) service," it seems the site is gaining popularity among teens for its potentially sexually explicit sessions.
"This is a huge red flag; this is extreme social networking," Allen said on the morning show. "This is a place kids are going to gravitate to."
The site issues several disclaimers for would-be webcam chatters.
"Chatroulette does not tolerate broadcasting obscene, offending, pornographic material," reads the home page.
It also encourages users to "report inappropriate video" through a link on the site.
Want to see what it's about? Click here, but be warned.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- Iowa kidnapping suspect probed in cousins' 2012 deaths