Fake Weed (Spice, Genie, K2) Getting Kids High, But There's Nothing Cops Can Do
Photo: K2 is a popular brand of "fake pot."
"A 10-year-old child could walk into a head shop and buy it," said Shawn Rhoads, a police detective in West Plains, Mo. "It's not a tobacco, it's not regulated by anything. It would be like sending my 10-year-old son into Wal-Mart to buy potpourri."
The substance, often called "Spice," "Genie," or "Zohai" is sprayed with a synthetic compound chemically similar to THC and mostly made in China. It's smoked in joints or pipes, just like the real deal.
The key ingredients are believed to be the unintended result of scientific research.
Dr. John Huffman, a Clemson University organic chemistry professor, was researching the effects of cannabinoids on the brain when his work resulted in a 1995 paper that contained the method and ingredients used to make the compound. That recipe found its way to marijuana users, who replicated Huffman's work and began spraying it onto dried flowers, herbs and tobacco.
"People who use it are idiots," said Huffman, referring to K2 smokers.
It's banned in much of Europe, but not yet regulated in the States. That's likely to change. A Missouri bill seeks to make possession punishable by up to seven years in prison. A Kansas bill would make possession a misdemeanor, with up to a year in jail and a $2,500 fine. Both laws are identical to marijuana penalties in those states.
No real science yet on whether the substance is bad for you, although the DEA says in mice it can lead to a lower body temperature, partial paralysis and the temporary inability to feel pain, according to the DEA.
But does it lead to munchies? For now we don't know.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot