Facebook Fugitive Chris Crego Gives Police Plenty of Help, Current Status: "Arrested"
Photo: Chris Crego.
Crego was arrested for assault in the fall of 2009 stemming from a bar fight in Lockport, NY, a little north of Buffalo. Crego pled guilty, but didn't show for sentencing. Police issued a warrant for his arrest but he'd already left the state.
Lockport Police Capt. Richard Podgers told CNN that detectives started looking for Crego on the Internet and quickly uncovered not only a Facebook page but also a MySpace account.
Photo: Mugshot of Chris Crego from Lockport police.
Crego posted his current residence as Terre Haute, Ind., and his place of employment, a tattoo parlor called Body Art Ink. He even included his work hours!
There's more. Crego also proudly displayed the wanted poster of him that had been published in the Lockport paper, according to the Terre Haute Tribune Star.
Lockport police contacted U.S. Marshals in Indiana, who easily tracked Crego down Feb. 3. He was being held on a preliminary charge of escape, with a bond of $25,000.
Photo: Chris Crego.
"If it wasn't for criminals like him our job would be a lot harder," Capt. Richard Podgers said. The police even posted a thank-you note to Crego's Facebook page that read "it was due to your diligence in keeping us informed that now you are under arrest."
Crego has a hearing April 5 on New York's request to extradite him, which he's planning to fight.
Let's see if Crego tells us what he thinks of jail food in his next post.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles