Phoebe Prince "Suicide by Bullying": Teen's Death Angers Town Asking Why Bullies Roam the Halls
According to The Boston Globe, Prince was relentlessly bullied by girls who called her "a slut," or "an Irish slut." On the day of her death, Jan. 14, Prince was walking home from school when bullies drove by in a car, hurling insults and an energy drink in her direction. Prince kept walking to her house, straight to her closet, and hanged herself.
Photo: Family photo of Phoebe Nora Mary Prince, 15, who committed suicide on January 14.
Tuesday night, Feb. 2, outraged South Hadley residents brought their concerns to the town's Board of Selectmen, according to WBZ News Radio. Some want to know why the alleged bullies are still in school. "What kind of signal are we giving kids at school if some of the bullies are still walking the hallways acting proud," said parent Kathleen Keene.
Photo: Phoebe Prince, 15, committed suicide apparently due to vicious bullying.
But some had other concerns, the station reported, like high school senior Steven Grabowski, who said, "Name and shame these bullies and they will find themselves in the same place that Phoebe was and we will find more families with losing their loved one and more lives torn apart."
The South Hadley police chief told WBZ Radio, "We've subpoenaed records from Facebook, we've subpoenaed web pages from Facebook, hoping to track down perpetrators of some of this criminal threatening."
State representative John Sciback said he expects "there will be criminal charges filed at some point."
Too late for Phoebe Prince.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen