Haiti Post-Quake Rape Fears Rise; Threat High After Earthquake Prison Break
Photo: A young Haitian girl waits for supplies after the devastating earthquake Jan. 12.
Haiti's national police chief, Mario Andresol, told the London Times more than 7,000 prisoners have escaped the prison since the quake on Jan. 12.
"It took us five years to detain them," Andresol said, ''today they are running wild."
Photo: A Haitian woman walks through one of the many tent camps around the city.
The bandits are taking full advantage of the blackout in Haiti's capital and the vulnerability of the makeshift tents and shelters, said Andresol.
Rachelle Dolce, who is living in one such makeshift camp on the Petionville Club Golf Course, told the paper she thought she heard a rape outside her tent the previous night.
"I heard a fight outside, and I saw panties on the ground," she said, "I started to shout a lot and they left."
Although official numbers on sexual assaults since the earthquake are not available, a number of women's organizations have alerted the United Nations mission in Haiti, detailing cases they were aware of, Andresol told the newspaper.
His warning came a day after the UN human rights chief, Navi Pillay, said that gangsters and child traffickers could try to exploit the chaos triggered by the earthquake to step up their criminal activities.
The US State Department said yesterday that it's working with Haiti's government to crack down on trafficking.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
January 27, 2010 - Paul Shirley Haiti Advice: "Maybe Use A Condom Once In A While"
January 20, 2010 6:00 AM - Wyclef Jean Slams Critics: "Mistakes Yes...Money for Personal Benefit? Absolutely Not"
January 18, 2010 - Sept. 11 Heroes Pull Haitians from Rubble; New York City Cops and Firefighters Lead Rescue Teams
January 15, 2010 - Haiti Earthquake News: Main Prison Destroyed, 4,000 Prisoners Escape
January 13, 2010 - Pat Robertson: Haiti "Cursed" After "Pact to the Devil"
January 13, 2010 - Haiti Relief Organizations: FBI Warns Americans to be Careful in Wake of Earthquake Tragedy
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Jodi Arias, convicted killer, asks jury to spare her life
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Family of accidentally slain Hofstra student critical of cops
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot