Nancy Bostrom, Daughter in Mummified Mom Case, Runs for City Council on Elder Care Platform
Photo: Nancy Bostrom appears on KCOM broadcast.
In February 2009, the decomposed corpse of Nancy Bostrom's mother, Patricia Bostrom, was discovered sitting in the living room of the woman's Piedmont, Calif., home, according to CBS affiliate KPIX. Investigators are still not sure exactly how long she had been sitting there, but family and neighbors said they hadn't seen or heard from Patricia Bostrom in over six years.
Photo: Piedmont, Calif., home where Patricia Bostrom's decomposed and mummified body was found.
Nancy Bostrom told the San Francisco Chronicle that she is trying to put her "bad year" behind her but her choice of platform in the race for Piedmont city council may bring a few skeletons out of her closet.
In a recent League of Women Voters forum, Nancy Bostrom called for more to be done to help and care for the community's seniors, according to the paper.
But Bostrum's opponents may ask why she didn't do more to help her mother.
A coroner ruled that Patricia Bostrom died of natural causes but was unable to determine how long her decomposed body sat her living room, KPIX reported. Nancy Bostrom reportedly continued to pay the utility bills and even planted flowers in the garden every spring, but never reported her mother's death.
Family members say they became suspicious because Nancy Bostrom's stories about the whereabouts of her mother changed all the time.
Police announced in May 2009 that they would not bring charges in the case because the only crime they could see was that of desecrating a corpse, but they didn't think they could make it stick because Nancy Bostrom maintains that she had seen her mother just weeks before and that she thought she was travelling.
KPIX: No Charges Over Corpse Found in Piedmont Home
KPIX: Probe Widens After Discovery of Piedmont Corpse
- Ex-Playmate pleads guilty in immigrant smuggling case
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- FBI finds possible human remains at mobster's former home
- Missing Univ. of Chicago student's body found in lake
- Calif. teen, once honored, now murder suspect, cops say
- Report: Calif. man stabs father, cuts off his own hands
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Mother of La. girl allegedly killed by brother speaks out
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Cleveland kidnap victims may get state govt. payments
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Details surface about Zimmerman jury candidate pool
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender