Preacher Matt Baker Guilty of Killing Wife; Could Get Life In Prison as Jury Hears New Sex Evidence
Photo: Matt Baker waits in court during his murder trial on Jan. 20, 2010 in Waco, Texas.
The 38-year-old former Texas minister faces up to life in prison for drugging and suffocating his wife, Kari, then faking her suicide note in 2006. Jurors deliberated more than seven hours before finding him guilty late Wednesday.
Photo: Matt and Kari Baker.
Prosecutors notified defense attorneys before the trial began that they planned to present evidence that Baker made sexual advances toward the other women, including some underage girls, over the past 18 years.
Testimony about the allegations could come during the sentencing hearing, as they were mentioned only briefly during trial in a vague comment by his ex-mistress, Vanessa Bulls.
The case almost never went to trial.
Kari Baker's death was originally ruled a suicide, but authorities reopened the case several months later after her parents shared evidence obtained for their wrongful death lawsuit against Baker.
"We did it," a sobbing Linda Dulin, Kari's mother, said late Wednesday as she left the courtroom and embraced relatives and friends.
Baker did not testify during the seven-day trial and showed no emotion when the verdict was read. After the judge revoked his bond, Baker shook his attorney's hand and said "thank you" before a sheriff's deputy took him into custody.
A gag order on attorneys was to remain in effect until after sentencing.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
January 20, 2010 - Matt Baker Trial: Ex Mistress Vanessa Bulls Says Preacher Killed Wife
January 19, 2010 - Erin Moriarty: Matt Baker Lied to Me, But Did the Texas Preacher Kill His Wife?
MORE ON 48 HOURS | MYSTERY
Click here to learn more about the case.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered
- Report: Texas girl dies after being abandoned in hot car
- Utah police close Susan Powell case, offer new details
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Report: Boyfriend charged in murder of Conn. college coed
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- City sues "Robin Hood" group that prevents parking tickets
- Vegas police: Boy, 15, murdered over iPad
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death