Aveion Lewis Body Found in Landfill; 2-Year-Old's Stepfather Charged, Abduction Story Called Hoax
Photo: Aveion Lewis.
Roanoke officials said in a press release Thursday that the medical examiner's office identified the boy as the 2-year-old who was reported missing last month by his stepfather.
The toddler's body was found Jan. 27 in the Smith Gap Landfill.
The boy's stepfather, 24-year-old Brandon Lockett, has been charged with felony child neglect, improper disposal of a human body and obstruction of justice.
Lockett initially told police that three men invaded his home, knocked him unconscious and abducted the boy on Jan. 14, which prompted a statewide amber alert.
Police in Roanoke say Lockett admitted the boy was never kidnapped and that he had died some time before Lockett called 911 to report the fake abduction.
The child's mother has not been charged, but has been questioned.
It's not yet clear how Aveion Lewis died.
MORE ON CRIMESIDER
January 21, 2010 - Aveion Lewis, "Kidnapped" Toddler, Now Presumed Dead; Stepdad Charged as Police Search for Body
January 15, 2010 - Amber Alert: Aveion Malik Lewis, 2, Stolen During Home Invasion; Kidnappers Left Ransom Note
- Cops: Hosftra student was killed by officer's gunshot
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias Lawyer: Defense won't call more witnesses
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Arias returns to court for penalty phase of trial
- Police: Ex-cop once hailed as hero charged with rape
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- 10-year-old killed after gunmen shoot into Calif. home
- Sources: Husband ordered cyanide before wife's death
- Jodi Arias: A timeline of a sensational murder case
- Cops: NYC man dead after "anti-gay" hate shooting
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Authorities search for missing URI student
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty