Mystikal Released from Prison; Grammy Nominated Rapper Did 6 Years for Sex Crime
Mystikal, 33, whose real name is Michael Lawrence Tyler, was serving a six year sentence for sexual battery after being found guilty Jan. 15, 2004. He was denied parole in 2008.
The victim, the rapper's hair stylist at the time, accused Tyler of forcing her to perform oral sex on him while his two bodyguards, Leland "Pokie" Ellis and Vercy "V" Carter, filmed it. She said they also accused her of stealing $80,000 worth of his checks. She denied stealing any money.
Tyler originally pled not guilty to the charges but after the video surfaced he was forced to plead guilty and was sentenced to six years in prison. The bodyguards also pleaded guilty to sexual battery. Ellis, 37, received three years in prison, and Carter, 35, got four.
At the time of sentencing Judge Tony Marabella, who saw the videotape, said the victim had been "terrorized."
"The court is convinced that the defendant believes he is above the law and can take the law into his own hands," Marabella said.
Tyler also pleaded guilty to extortion, and earlier received five years probation on that count. According to court documents, Tyler has paid the woman $350,000 - $300,000 of it borrowed from his record label, to keep her quiet.
Mystikal's record "Tarantula" was nominated for a best rap album Grammy in 2003.
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Report: NFL player not ruled out as suspect in murder probe
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released