Haiti Relief Organizations: FBI Warns Americans to be Careful in Wake of Earthquake Tragedy
On Wednesday, the FBI issued this press release.
Haitian Earthquake Relief Fraud Alert
Washington, D.C. – The FBI today reminds Internet users who receive appeals to donate money in the aftermath of Tuesday's earthquake in Haiti to apply a critical eye and do their due diligence before responding to those requests. Past tragedies and natural disasters have prompted individuals with criminal intent to solicit contributions purportedly for a charitable organization and/or a good cause.
Therefore, before making a donation of any kind, consumers should adhere to certain guidelines, to include the following:
• Do not respond to any unsolicited (SPAM) incoming emails, including clicking links contained within those messages.
• Be skeptical of individuals representing themselves as surviving victims or officials asking for donations via e-mail or social networking sites.
• Verify the legitimacy of nonprofit organizations by utilizing various Internet-based resources that may assist in confirming the group's existence and its nonprofit status rather than following a purported link to the site.
• Be cautious of e-mails that claim to show pictures of the disaster areas in attached files because the files may contain viruses. Only open attachments from known senders.
• Make contributions directly to known organizations rather than relying on others to make the donation on your behalf to ensure contributions are received and used for intended purposes.
• Do not give your personal or financial information to anyone who solicits contributions: Providing such information may compromise your identity and make you vulnerable to identity theft.
End of Press Release
For those inclined to give, researching a charity is a good idea. Guidestar and Charity Navigator are two sites that help find reputable charities and research charities' reputations.
CBS has also compiled a MEDIAPICTURES: Haiti's Quake Aftermath
PICTURES: Haitian Earthquake
MORE ON CBS NEWS
How to Help Victims
Blog: The Latest Developments
Complete Coverage: Devastation in Haiti
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Search for missing woman, 19, in Tempe, Ariz.
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- Ohio day care worker charged with drugging kids' snacks
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests