Gay Porn Star Andrew Grande Dies After Trying to Swallow Pot, and Getting Tasered Didn't Help
Photo: Twitpic of Andrew Grande smoking marijuana, according to his own caption.
A camera crew from Zoo Productions, working for truTV, was on a ride-along with Panama Beach police when they responded to a physical disturbance call at the Executive Inn on Front Beach Road Friday Dec. 11.
When investigators arrived, 22-year-old Crystal Amber Cronnon told them that Grande, who used the stage name Dustin Michaels, had attacked her, according to the News Herald.
Photo: Andrew Grande from his Twitpic account.
Police say they tried to arrest Grande but he resisted and during the struggle he put something in his mouth and attempted to swallow it. Officers yelled at him to spit it out. One of them shouted, "He's choking," according to the paper.
In the chaos, Grande briefly broke free of the officers and was tasered. He pulled the Taser prongs out of his body, fell to the ground, and put his hand in his mouth trying to vomit, the paper reported.
Officers attempted to do the Heimlich but couldn't dislodge the object.
Responding paramedics were able to pull the bag of marijuana from his throat and transport him to a nearby hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The woman who made the complaint, Crystal Amber Cronnon, disappeared after Grande was put in the ambulance but police had her driver's license, according to The News Herald.
One of the tapes from the incident includes audio but no video of Cronnon telling the responding officers, Sgt. Billy Byrd, that Grande "pushed me down when I got out of my car," but continues "I'm not about getting anyone arrested."
The tape then cuts to a later shot of Byrd attempting to give Grande the Heimlich but he is unsuccessful. After the emergency medical technicians arrive and start to treat Grande, Byrd does an interview with the truTV crew. Byrd says he and the other deputies were trying to reach into Grande's mouth to remove the object.
"We was(sic) trying to pull whatever he had in his mouth back out of his mouth," Byrd says. "Obviously, he was resisting and trying to prevent us from doing that, trying to steer away, and at that time he was tased."
In the wake of this incident, the sheriff's office says it has no plans to change the policy that allows reporters and other civilians to ride along with deputies, officials said. The same truTV crew that caught Grande's death on video went out again with other deputies Sunday night, officials said.
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Victim in Utah church shooting expected to survive
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- N.M. Police: Grandmother unmasks robber, finds grandson
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Mother beats man she believes molested her kids
- Italian high court gives reason for new Knox trial
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Digging resumes for Jimmy Hoffa remains today
- Report: Child sex sting in Florida nets 41 arrests
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Cops: Calif. math teacher had sex with boy multiple times
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"