Calif. man accidentally records brutal assault on girlfriend, police say
(CBS/KCBS) MURRIETA, Calif. - Police say a California man accused of viciously beating his live-in girlfriend, accidentally recorded the incident on a cell phone voice mail.
According to CBS Los Angeles, Anthony Eugene Rollins is facing domestic abuse and torture charges, after the victim's cell phone led investigators to the Murrieta man, who is reportedly a former Marine. A detective investigating the case believes Rollins accidentally pocket-dialed the victim's cell phone during the attack, one minute and 26 seconds of which was recorded.
Sheriff's department documents reportedly reveal that the time stamp of the audio recording coincides with the time the victim sustained her injuries.
The alleged victim can be heard on the audio saying "my face hurts." A man police believe to be Rollins is heard saying, "You are not going to call the police ... stop crying ... don't fight, it's only going to get worse," according to a sheriff's report.
The report says what followed was the alleged victim "screaming, crying, and hitting sounds."
Rollins' girlfriend was beaten so badly she said she had no memory of the incident, CBS Los Angeles reports. She said after she woke with a headache and began vomiting, Rollins told her she had been drunk the previous night and fell down the stairs.
Rollins' girlfriend was treated at Loma Linda University Medical Center for bleeding on the brain and a fractured skull. Rollins was in court Thursday. He is being held on $1 million bond.
- Report: NFL player questioned in death investigation
- Report: Okla. teen vanishes while hiking in South America
- 4 accused of holding mother, child captive in Ohio
- Atty: Martin family confident Zimmerman will be convicted
- Walter Lee Williams is 500th on FBI's "Most Wanted" list
- Ariel Castro, alleged Cleveland kidnapper, appears in court
- Police: Boy, 13, killed sister, 5, with wrestling moves
- One of US FBI's most wanted nabbed in Mexico
- Calif. widow's home broken into 14 times, says she's leaving
- Cops: Fla. man beaten, robbed, left naked on first date
- Report: College student kept girl, 13, in his room for a month
- Okla. inmate executed in the 2000 death of a couple
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Bulger Trial: Admitted killer Martorano calls self "nice guy"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- "Modern-day slavery" case "all lies," suspect's mom says