Ga. Infant Shot: Two teens sought in shooting that left mother wounded, infant dead, police say
(CBS/AP) BRUNSWICK, Ga. - Police are looking for two teens in connection to a Thursday shooting that left a mother wounded and her 1-year-old boy dead while she was pushing her baby in a stroller in a Georgia neighborhood.
Sherry West said she was walking near her home in the coastal city of Brunswick, about 80 miles south of Savannah, on Thursday morning when two boys approached her and demanded money. West said she insisted she didn't have any money and tried to protect her son, Antonio, before shots rang out.
The mother sustained a non-life threatening gunshot wound in the leg and was transported to the Southeast Georgia Health System for treatment, CBS affiliate WTOC reports. The infant was found dead at the scene.
"This is obviously a terrible day in Brunswick," Brunswick Mayor Bryan Thompson said. "Please call if you know something. You are complicit in this crime."
Officers from a SWAT team checked vacant houses as investigators tried to find possible witnesses. The Georgia Department of Natural Resources provided a helicopter to aid the search.
According to WTOC, Brunswick Police are searching for two black male suspects. The gunman is approximately 5 feet 7 inches tall, slender build, with curly hair, possibly between the ages of 13 and 15 years old, wearing a red shirt. His accomplice is short in stature, possibly between the ages of 10 and 12 years old, wearing a black shirt.
Anyone with information is asked to call Brunswick Police at 912-554-3645. There is a $10,000 reward for information leading to an arrest.
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Report: Weekend violence leaves 7 dead, 46 shot in Chicago
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender
- Report: NY teacher admits sex with student, avoids jail