Threats against Steubenville rape victim "not uncommon," say experts
(CBS) - On the very day the boys who raped her were found guilty, the victim in the notorious Steubenville rape case became the apparent victim of yet another crime: menacing.
PICTURES: Steubenville Rape Trial
Two teen girls were arrested Monday after allegedly posting on Facebook and Twitter threats to hurt or kill the girl at the center of a much-publicized rape case.
To those who work with sexual assault victims, the news was unwelcome, but not surprising.
"That's not uncommon," says Tracy Cox of the National Sexual Violence Resource Center. Even after a verdict, Cox says that rape victims and their families are often targets of backlash.
Scott Berkowitz, the president of the Rape, Abuse and Incest Nation Network (RAINN), says that in his experience, threats to a victim don't usually rise to the level of physical violence, but that the badmouthing of victims - especially right after they've reported the crime - can be brutal.
And this, says Cox, can have a chilling effect on other victims.
"When victims hear about threats, it throws a blanket of silence over them," she says. "No one wants their physical well-being jeopardized."
After Ma'Lik Richmond, 16, and Trent Mays, 17, were sentenced to juvenile incarceration Sunday, Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine announced that he was calling for the creation of a grand jury to investigate possible charges against other Steubenville residents - including students, parents, coaches and high school personnel - who may have known about the rape and either failed to report it or acted to cover up evidence.
The next day, DeWine had a 15-year-old and a 16-year-old arrested for making threats against the rape victim. They are currently being held in juvenile detention.
"A lot of prosecutors would have ignored it," says Berkowitz. "The fact that he pressed charges is impressive."
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Jury deliberates possible death sentence for Jodi Arias
- Fla. girl, 18, charged over underage same-sex relationship
- Jodi Arias talks about suicide, what she'll do with her life in prison
- Iowa Cops: Man suspected of abducting 2 girls found dead
- Mom of Hailey Dunn, missing teen found dead, speaks out
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Massive search underway for abducted teen in Iowa
- Arias to jury: Alexander's death "the worst mistake of my life"
- 3 teens charged with raping girl, 12, putting video on web
- Cops: NC woman tried to poison family members' cheese
- Cops: Barbara Walters' daughter charged with DUI in Fla.
- Jodi Arias to speak on own behalf as jury weighs death
- Jodi Arias makes her opening statements to the jury
- Man charged with murder in case of missing Maine girl, 15
- Report: Slain Conn. student Alyssiah Wiley found dismembered