Sarai Sierra Update: Ziya Tasali charged with murder, allegedly confessed to killing NYC mom in Turkey
Sierra, a 33-year-old mother of three, was found dead near Istanbul's ancient city walls on Feb. 2, 12 days after her family reported her missing. She was vacationing alone in the city and exploring her photography hobby. She had planned the trip to Turkey with a friend, but that person canceled for financial reasons.
Authorities said Sierra died of a blow to the head.
Tasali, the 46-year-old suspect, was caught Sunday near the Turkey-Syria border after being on the run for more than a month, mostly while hiding in Syria, officials said.
Sierra's brother, David Jimenez, welcomed the charge filed against Tasali. "It's what we were hoping for. They've done a good job investigating this, and we really appreciate it," Jimenez said in an interview with The Associated Press in New York City.
There were conflicting reports about Tasali's arrest, with Turkey's interior minister saying he was detained as he entered Turkey, and the Istanbul police chief suggesting he was nabbed in Syria in an operation by Syrian rebels in cooperation with Turkish officials.
The suspect was taken to Istanbul, where a court questioned him and charged him on Monday with murder, according to the state-run Anadolu agency. A trial date will be scheduled after prosecutors prepare an indictment detailing the charges.
The maximum penalty for murder in Turkey is life imprisonment.
Anadolu reported that Tasali - described as a homeless scrap paper collector - allegedly admitted while being questioned by prosecutors that he attacked Sierra while under the influence of vapors from inhaling paint thinner, then fled the scene.
Sierra disappeared the day she was due to fly home, and her body was found hidden near the remnants of the city walls.
Istanbul police identified Tasali as a prime suspect in the slaying after blood and DNA samples extracted from the victim's nails closely matched those taken from his siblings.
- Jury foreman: Jodi Arias "not a good witness"
- Atty.: New Trayvon Martin texts, photos are "red herrings"
- Hung jury reportedly emotional at Jodi Arias trial
- Cops: N.Y. girl leaves suicide note claiming she was bullied
- Kaitlyn Hunt rejects plea deal in underage sex case
- Kaitlyn Hunt: "I'm scared of losing the rest of my life..."
- Hung jury in Arias penalty phase, new panel to be chosen
- Police: Boston math tutor also meth trafficker
- Investigator: Missing Iowa teen's blood found
- School security guard allegedly pushes girl down stairs
- Atty: Charges will not be dropped in Kaitlyn Hunt case
- Woman guilty of stabbing fiance to death on wedding day
- Plea deadline is today for Fla. teen Kaitlyn Hunt
- Fla. man accidentally calls 911 and reveals murder plan
- Cops: Pa. couple stabbed each other over "American Idol"
- W.Va. girl pleads guilty in the killing of Skylar Neese, 16