Anti-drug NY assemblyman Steven Katz arrested for marijuana possession, report says
(CBS) NEW YORK - Steven M. Katz, a New York State assemblyman who has publicly condemned the use of drugs, was arrested and charged with marijuana possession during a traffic stop on Thursday, police said, according to The New York Times.
A case of a pot-smoking lawmaker calling the kettle black?
Katz, a 59-year-old Republican from Mohegan Lake, N.Y., was stopped for speeding on a state thruway in Coeymans, on Thursday morning. After noting the odor of marijuana, a State Trooper found "a small bag of marijuana" in Katz's possession, New York State police said in a statement.
According to the paper, Katz was charged with unlawful possession of marijuana.
In a statement obtained by the New York Times, Katz called the incident "unfortunate."
"This should not overshadow the work I have done over the years for the public and my constituency," he reportedly said, adding, "I am confident that once the facts are presented that this will quickly be put to rest."
Katz, who is a veterinarian by trade, is a member of the Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Committee. According to The Times, he voted against a bill in 2012 that would have legalized medical marijuana.
Katz was released on an appearance ticket and is due in court on March 28.
- Hitman testifies "Whitey" Bulger "broke my heart"
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, to be released
- Ind. woman, sentenced to death at 16, released from prison
- Cops: Utah man shoots father-in-law during Mass
- Embattled ex-Elmo puppeteer wins 3 Daytime Emmys
- Calif. teacher accused of killing wife arrested after search
- Report: Weekend violence leaves 7 dead, 46 shot in Chicago
- Joseph Naso, 79, on trial in "Double Initial" murders
- Medical examiner resigns after 3 die in same hotel room
- Calif. school district wins $2.6M in "false rape" case
- Univ. of Chicago student missing for five days
- Affidavit: Drug deal led to murder of Ind. teen
- Funeral held for Md. girl who police say was raped, killed
- Jimmy Hoffa search focuses on field in Detroit suburb
- Court revisits disputed 911 call in Zimmerman trial
- Steubenville teen rapist must register as sex offender