Jonylah Watkins Update: Chicago father of slain infant released from hospital, cooperating with police, report says
(CBS) -- Jonathan Watkins, a Chicago father wounded in a Monday afternoon shooting that killed his 6-month-old daughter, left a hospital Thursday night and showed up at a police station where he is cooperating with authorities, CBS Chicago reports.
Watkins, 28, was released from the hospital where he was recovering from a shooting attack on Monday that killed his daughter, Jonylah, as he was changing her diaper in a minivan. A gunman opened fire on the vehicle and shot Jonylah to death multiple times and wounded her father. The attack was apparently intended to harm Watkins, who is a reputed gang member.
After his release, Watkins limped into Area South Police Headquarters around 9:30 p.m., according to the CBS Chicago. He was accompanied by Pastor Corey Brooks, who is acting as a family spokesman.
"They lost a daughter," Brooks told reporters. "We want to keep the focus on making sure we catch the idiot, the jerk that shot their child."
Brooks said Watkins is cooperating with police, but does not know who shot him.
"Every question that he's been asked, he has answered fully and completely," Brooks said. "If he knew who shot his daughter, and who shot him, he would have given them that name immediately."
Although police said Watkins was a member of the Gangster Disciples, Brooks said Watkins has not been in a gang since 2007, according to CBS Chicago.
Jonylah's funeral will be held at 11 a.m. next Tuesday at New Beginnings Church in the South Side neighborhood of Woodlawn. The wake will be at 10 a.m. Visitation will be from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. next Monday at Leak Funeral Home.
An $11,000 reward is being offered for information leading to the arrest of the shooting suspect.
- Report: Dogs removed from kidnap suspect Castro's home
- Ariel Castro's lawyer says he'll plead not guilty
- Meeting Jodi Arias: First impressions never lie, or do they?
- Creighton Univ. professor, wife, found slain in Omaha home
- 'Kai the hatchet-wielding hitchhiker' arrested
- Cops: Hofstra student died in police-involved shooting
- Jodi Arias jury finds killing merits possible death penalty
- "The War in Chicago": A 48 Hours investigation
- 17-year-old charged with murdering two Ohio brothers
- Cops: DNA confirms remains those of Ga. college freshman
- Arias jury hears of anguish from murder victim's family
- Defense lawyer: Jodi Arias will speak "about who she is"
- Boy, 12, appears in court in sister's fatal stabbing
- Texas woman's body found 2 days after 911 call
- Berlusconi "bunga bunga" parties detailed at Italian trial
- Cops: N.M. mom chased her daughter's abductor for 7 miles